If you believe that the Town of Innisfil or InnServices has failed to maintain our facilities, roads, trees and sewers, and you have suffered an injury or property damage as a result, you can submit a Statement of Damage claim. If your property has water damage from flooding, you can submit a flooding claim.

Before making a claim

If you have auto or property insurance, we suggest you consult your insurance company or broker first. Your insurance coverage may cover more than the Town would. If the Town is found liable, any payments we make would consider the current value of your property, not replacement value.

We also suggest that you contact your insurer immediately in emergency situations, such as with flooding or similar damage. Any claim against the Town needs to first be investigated before we can provide coverage. This investigation takes time, during which your home insurer could already be repairing your damage. If your insurer believes the Town is responsible for your damages, they may seek compensation against the Town on your behalf.

How to file a claim

You can make a property damage claim by submitting a Statement of Damage or by contacting Customer Service. Please include photos, receipts, invoices or any other relevant documents to support your property damage claim. We encourage you to submit your claims as soon as possible.

If your claim relates to the condition of our roads or sidewalks, you must submit your claim within 10 days of the incident.


After receiving your property damage claim, our legal department and insurance adjuster will investigate whether the Town is responsible for your loss. Property damage claims typically take 90 days to resolve. In cases of extreme weather events where the Town may receive a higher volume of claims, it may take longer than 90 days.

The investigation involves gathering and reviewing information such as:

  • Our maintenance records
  • Our installation standards
  • Environment Canada weather records
  • Contractors or third parties that may have carried out work at or near the incident

If our investigation determines that the Town has not met the applicable standards, we will reach out to you to resolve your claim.

If our investigation determines that the Town has met these standards, your claim will be denied. We will outline the reasons for denial in a letter to you. If you wish to pursue your claim after being denied compensation, you may proceed with legal action.

Will the Town pay my deductible?

If we receive a claim from your home insurer, our Town insurer will want to complete their own investigation. If they find the Town responsible, we will reimburse your insurer for the amount we owe you, plus your deductible.

What if I don't have insurance?

You can still submit a Statement of Damage if you don't have insurance, and we will investigate your claim with our legal team and insurer. Please understand that we cannot guarantee a turnaround time for this investigation, and most take 90 days to resolve claims.

Types of claims

Review the types of property damage claims.

Pothole damage

We identify potholes through regular patrols and resident reports to customer service. If you see a pothole, please contact us. By reporting a pothole to customer service, you are not submitting a claim to the Town.

We will not be responsible for your property damage due to potholes if we have met the Provincial Minimum Maintenance Standards (MMS). The MMS are standards for road maintenance, such as patrolling, salting, clearing snow and pothole repair. These standards vary depending on the speed limit and traffic volume of roads. On busier roads, we fix potholes within seven days of them being reported. On smaller roads, we fix potholes within 14 days of them being reported.

If you are submitting a property damage claim due to potholes, please do so within 10 days of the incident.

Collisions involving Town vehicles

You must report any accident involving collisions with Town vehicles to your own insurer. Regardless of fault, in accordance with the Direct Compensation Rules in the Insurance Act, all physical damage must be reported to and paid by your own automobile insurer.

Flooding damage

Review our flooding claims to learn how to submit flooding damage claims.

Sewer backups

Our InnServices Wastewater Operations staff are on call 24 hours per day to deal with emergencies, such as sewer backups. If you experience a sewer backup, please call us at 705-436-3710 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. from Monday to Friday, or 705-436-2141 on holidays, evenings or weekends.

Once our operators have arrived, the property owner will be required to sign a Sewer Servicing Agreement prior to starting any work.

Before clearing a blocked sewer

Contact Ontario One Call before clearing a blocked sewer service line outside a house or building. It is important that you make sure that no natural gas line intersects the sewer line before attempting to clear it.

Using rotating or water jetting equipment to clear a blocked sewer line can damage a natural gas line and cause a serious gas leak. Ontario One Call offers free natural gas sewer safety inspections on behalf of Enbridge. Inspections are offered throughout the Enbridge gas distribution service area, even if you are not a natural gas customer.

Responsibility for repairs

If the problem with the sewer lateral exists on the private property side, then it is the property owner's responsibility to call a licensed plumbing/drain contractor to perform any additional maintenance or rehabilitation work to address the cause of the blockage. If there is a deficiency with the sewer lateral and it is determined that the backup was caused by grease or materials such as diapers, paper towels or feminine hygiene products, the property owner will be responsible for having it removed.

If the problem with the sewer lateral exists on the public property side, InnServices will make an assessment to determine if any additional remedial work is required. Any work required on the public side will be scheduled and completed by the Town at no cost to the owner.

Because liability can never be assumed, we recommend you first contact your home insurer before submitting a claim to the Town. If your insurer believes the Town is responsible for your damages, they may seek compensation against the Town on your behalf.

Watermain breaks or sewer backups can be attributed to causes other than the Town's failure to properly install or maintain its infrastructure. The weather, for example, can have a significant impact. Pressures created by the freeze/thaw cycles during the winter can place significant strain on watermains. These pressures often lead to leaks and ruptures. Severe weather systems that pass through the Town can also strain the sewer system. Significant rainfall over a short period of time can result in the Town's storm and combined sewers taking in more water than they are designed to accommodate, resulting in sewer backups.

Preventing a sewer backup

  • Do not dispose of paper towels, diapers and feminine hygiene products in your residential sewer line. These products do not deteriorate quickly like bathroom tissue and should be disposed of in your garbage bin.
  • Avoid pouring cooking oil and grease down the sewer drain. There is a common misconception that it is OK to wash grease down the drain with hot water. In fact, the hot water will help to carry the grease down the drain, but quickly cools off as it flows into the sewer drain. As it cools, it can solidify and clog the drain, resulting in a sewer backup.
  • Review your residential insurance policy or contact your agent to determine if your policy covers damages due to sewer backups and/or water damage. In many cases this additional coverage can be purchased at a minimal cost to cover your home in the event of a sewer backup incident.