Looking to build or renovate in the Town of Innisfil but not sure where to begin, or what permits or inspections you may need? We're here to help!

Building permits and zoning

We outline when building permits are needed and how to get them for a variety of projects by:

  • Homeowners
  • Housing developers
  • Industrial, commercial and institutional developers

Learn how to comply with the Town's zoning regulations and apply for minor variances if you seek to modify existing regulations for your property.

Permits for homeowners

Whether you are looking to renovate your existing home, create a second dwelling, fix up your basement or install a pool, there are many projects and instances where homeowners must apply for a building permit with the Town before starting work.

Responsibility and role

Whether you do the work yourself or hire a contractor, it is the homeowner's responsibility to ensure that a building permit is issued when required and that required inspections are scheduled, with any issues fixed. Starting construction without a permit is illegal and a provincial offence under the Ontario Building Code Act, so we advise all homeowners to acquire the permit before starting any work.

Permits for developers

Housing, industrial, commercial and institutional developers seeking to build in the Town must provide a range of documents and information as part of their permit applications, depending on the project.

Submitting design information

The Ontario Building Code requires all qualified and registered designers to include the following information when submitting documents to the Town:

  • Name and Building Code Identification Number (BCIN) of the registered firm
  • Name and BCIN of the qualified person
  • Signature of the qualified person
  • Statement that the qualified person has reviewed and taken responsibility for the project's design activities

Drawing specifications

  • If applicable, drawings must be stamped by an architect, or professional engineer or both. Stamps and signatures must be original on one set of drawings.
  • All drawings must be fully dimensioned, with all sizes and types of construction materials to be used and their respective locations included. Also include all finishes to walls, ceiling and floors, and all existing and proposed fire separations.
  • Alterations, renovations and additions must differentiate between the existing building and new work being done.

Attached plans, forms and information

The following plans, working drawings, information and forms may be required to accompany your application and fees, depending on the scope of work:

  • Architectural drawings
  • Building Code related reports
  • Building elevations
  • Electrical drawings
  • Exit capacity plans
  • Fire alarm drawings
  • Fire protection reports
  • Floor plans
  • Foundation plans
  • Framing plans
  • Heating, ventilation and air conditioning drawings
  • Key plan
  • Lot grading plan
  • Plumbing drawings
  • Reflected ceiling plans
  • Roof plans
  • Sections and details
  • Site plan
  • Spatial separation calculations
  • Sprinkler drawings
  • Structural drawings
  • Travel distance plans

Building permit records

We provide routine disclosure for certain building permit records. Depending on the age, nature and number of documents requested, your request may not be covered as part of a routine disclosure and may require a formal request under the MFIPPA.

How to request building permit records


You can schedule an inspection with the Town after obtaining a building permit for your project.

Call Before You Dig

If you plan on planting a tree, building a fence, pool or deck, digging a new garden or doing any project that requires you to dig on your property, you must contact Ontario One Call at least five days before getting started.

Accessory dwelling units

Learn more about accessory dwelling units in Innisfil. These units can provide important community benefits, such as safe, affordable rental housing. They provide economic benefits to homeowners and they support the flexible housing needs of youth, young families and seniors.