The Town of Innisfil offers building permits for homeowners, housing developers, and industrial, commercial and institutional developers looking to start certain building and renovating projects.

Building permits are necessary to ensure that zoning requirements, fire and structural safety standards, and other building standards are met. These standards are primarily in place to ensure occupants' safety.

Preparing to apply for a building or septic permit

We encourage you to review the following information before you begin your building permit application with the Town to make your application process easy and informative. Please refer to the Building Fee Schedule for applicable fees.

Do I need a building or septic permit?

Discover if your project requires a building permit from the Town. If you are not sure if your project requires a permit, contact us at

Permits are required for the following projects:

  • A new building larger than 10 m² (or 108 square-feet)
    • In some cases, the limit may be increased to 15 m², contact us for more information
  • A new building of any size that contains plumbing
  • An addition to a building where the new total is larger than 10 m² or contains plumbing
  • Decks (in many cases, even if not attached to the house)
  • Adding or filling in an exterior door or window
  • Many interior renovations, including:
    • Removing or adding walls
    • Adding or moving plumbing
    • Finishing a basement
  • Creating an accessory dwelling unit
  • In-ground and above-ground pools
  • Adding a solid fuel burning appliance, like a woodstove or wood fireplace
  • Any structural changes and repairs
  • A new on-site sewage (septic) system, or changes to an existing one
  • Connecting to municipal water and sewer services
  • Temporary tents for events, with a combined area larger than 60 m² (or 648 square-feet)
  • Damp-proofing measures that require excavation
  • Signs, including:
    • Pylon or ground signs
    • Billboard signs
    • Signs attached to a building

If your project requires a Town building a permit, there are a number of factors to consider before you start designing your project, including zoning, shoreline permits, site plan approvals, conservation, utilities, septic systems and design plans.

Zoning compliance

All building and development proposals must comply with the Town's zoning regulations. Many zoning provisions affect your property, such as overall lot coverage, setbacks, building height and type of zoning. Even if your project does not require a building permit, the Town's Zoning By-law still applies.

Application information packages

Each permit type requires plans of some nature. Our application information packages outline the requirements for the most common permit types. If your project isn't listed, contact us and we can provide guidance on what is needed.

Our application information packages include:

For permits that are regulated under the Ontario Building Code, these plans must be prepared by one of the following:

  • A qualified designer registered with the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
  • A professional engineer in Ontario
  • A licence holder with the Ontario Association of Architects
  • The property owner if they are knowledgeable and capable

Prepare your design drawings, to scale, which accurately describe the proposed construction. Drawings must be detailed enough so that anyone using them would be able to construct your project. If someone reading your drawings still has questions about how construction would occur, your drawings need more detail.

If you are engaging the services of another person to perform design and drawing activities, that person may be required to comply with the qualification requirements established by the Ontario Building Code. We do not assist or guide in the design process, or recommend a designer.

Shoreline property

If your property is on the Lake Simcoe shoreline, your project may require a Shoreline Permit before you can apply for a building permit.

Site plan approval

If your property is non-residential (commercial, industrial or institutional) or multi-residential (such as an apartment building), your project may require a site plan approval before you can apply for a building permit.


Many properties in Innisfil are regulated by the Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority or Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority. The Ontario Building Code requires all regulated properties to have written clearance from the appropriate conservation authority before applying for a building permit.

Visit the authorities' websites to check if your property is in a regulated area or contact us and our staff will let you know if your property and project is impacted by conservation regulations. Even if your project does not require a Town permit, you may still need permission from the appropriate conservation authority.

Call before you dig

We encourage you to contact Ontario One Call to determine where utilities exist on your property before completing your design. For example, you may be planning an addition where your gas line is!

Septic system

If your property is serviced by an on-site sewage system (i.e., septic system or holding tank), this could affect your project.

The Ontario Building Code sets minimum setbacks from structures to septic tanks and beds. As well, if you are proposing to add any plumbing fixtures, or any bedrooms, or a 15% increase in finished space, a septic analysis is required from a qualified septic designer for your building permit application.

Septic analysis

The septic analysis is a written document outlining the size of the system, existing and proposed items that contribute to septic sizing, and whether the existing system will support the increase. If your current system will not support the increase, you may choose to modify your plans, or adjust your system.

Applying for a building or septic permit

Building permit applications in the Town of Innisfil are managed through Cloudpermit. Cloudpermit is a digital system that allows you to:

  • Apply for and track building permits, make payments, and request inspections 24/7
  • Receive updates on the building permit process
  • Invite your designers or contractors to your permit file so everyone involved with the project has access to the information they need

There is no additional fee for using Cloudpermit. 

Getting started with Cloudpermit

To get started with Cloudpermit, you will need to create an account and have an email address to use in the system. 

Log into or create a Cloudpermit account

Create a Cloudpermit account

Follow these steps to create a Cloudpermit account:

  1. Visit Cloudpermit’s website for users in Canada
  2. Click Register in the Cloudpermit registration view
    • Enter your email address. It will be your User ID in Cloudpermit.
    • Click on the Terms of Service link. Read the terms carefully.
    • Select the check box "Yes, I agree to the Terms of Service."
    • Click Continue.
  3. Check your email inbox to verify the registration. Check your Junk/Spam folder in case the email has been flagged. If it has been more than 24 hours, you will need to request another registration email.
  4. Click Complete registration in your email verification to finish your profile information.

The next time you visit the site, you’ll login using your email and password. For a more detailed guide, review Cloudpermit’s walkthrough

How to change your password

The "My profile" section, accessible via the dashboard header, contains the "Change password" function. You can change your password in the "My profile" section anytime.

  1. Expand the drop-down menu by clicking the arrow next to your username in the Cloudpermit header. Select "My profile" from the list.
  2. In your "My profile" workspace, scroll down to the "Change password" section.
  3. Enter both your old and new passwords. Cloudpermit only accepts passwords that are moderate or strong.
  4. Click the "Change Password" button.
  5. Your password has been updated. Use it the next time you log in to Cloudpermit.

For a more detailed guide, review Cloudpermit’s walkthrough

How to reset your password

You can reset your password in the "My profile" section if you forget it.

  1. Click the "Forgot your password?" link in your Login view.
  2. Enter the email address associated with your Cloudpermit account. Continue by clicking the "Continue" button.
  3. Check your email inbox. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the "Reset password" button or copy the provided link into your browser.
  4. Create a new password for your account in the "My profile" section. Please keep in mind that Cloudpermit only accepts moderate and strong passwords. Do not use any parts of your name or surname in the password.
  5. Click "Reset and Log in."

For a more detailed walkthrough, review Cloudpermit’s guide.

Adding parties to an application

You can add roles to your application in two ways:

  • Option 1: Inviting a party via email
  • Option 2: Adding a party manually

Option 2 applies if a party does not have an active email address or wants to be digitally involved in the application.

Inviting a party via email
  1. Scroll to "Parties to the Application" and click "Add or Invite Party."
  2. Input the party's email address into the email address text field. 
  3. Select roles from the drop-down list (invitee will act in role(s) of). Note that one party may have numerous roles. For example, one party may act as an Applicant, Payer, and Consultant, while another party may only be a Property Owner.
  4. Select any additional permission(s) you may want to grant to your party.
    • Modify application - A user may make changes and sign off the application. 
    • View all applicable phases, like Pre-consultation, Work and Construction, or Archival.
    • Add new applications to the project.
  5. If you want to provide more information about the invitation, write a brief message to your invitee (optional).
  6. Click "Send Invite."

An email will be sent to the invitee. Until the invitee accepts your invitation in Cloudpermit, the invitation remains in the "Parties to the Application" section as a pending step.

Adding a party manually
  1. Select "Input details manually and add the party immediately."
    • Fill in the blanks with the information from your invitee. In the section "Invitee will play the role(s) of"), select the roles you want to assign to the invitee from the drop-down menu. One party can play multiple roles in the application and the selection is not limited.
  2. Select "Add.
    • The invitee will be contacted by email. It includes instructions for creating a Cloudpermit account. When the account is created, and the invitee accepts the party invitation, the status of the party card changes to "confirmed," and the color symbol on the invitee's party card changes to green.

Send a message on Cloudpermit

This tutorial video shows you how to send a message to our Building Department using the in-built Messaging functionality in Cloudpermit.

Cloudpermit support

For a full list of support resources, browse Cloudpermit’s Applicant User Guide or view information on managing your account settings. You can also contact us for help. 

The Cloudpermit supported browsers are Google, Safari, and Firefox.

Submit a building permit application

To start a new application:

  1. Login to Cloudpermit
  2. Click the "Apply for a Permit" button in the upper right-hand corner
  3. Create a New Project, and give it a name. Some combination of your address and the project type might be a good way to keep track if you'll be applying for multiple permits (for example - 123 Lakeshore Drive – Addition). Then select Next.
  4. Provide the location where the work will be taking place. Change the municipality (drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner) to Innisfil. You can then type in your address or roll number, or you can find your property on the map. Once you have the correct location (it appears under the map), select Next.
  5. Select the Application Type and Category appropriate for your project, then select Next. At this point, you'll see a Summary. Check if the information is accurate. If you need to make changes, use the "Back" button. If everything is correct, select Create Application.

You'll now see your draft Building Permit application. You'll need to provide a bit more information before submitting your application request. Ensure the "receive email notifications" is marked as YES. Email is the primary way in which we will communicate with you throughout the process.

Additional Cloudpermit guides

Application fee

We charge a non-refundable application fee, which is due when you submit your building permit. This application fee will be deducted from your total permit fees. For most permit types, the fee is $189. For commercial, industrial, institutional, and agricultural properties, the fee is $331. The application will not be submitted for review until the payment is received.

You can pay this fee by using the online payment option. If you would prefer, you can also pay by cash, debit or cheque at Town Hall during business hours. If you’re paying in person, be sure to select the “Submit upon payment” button. 

Application review

Our staff will review your application. Depending on the type of project, there may be multiple types of reviews. As your application moves through the review process, you will receive updates through emails from Cloudpermit. If there are deficiencies with your application or plans, you will also be notified and asked to fix these before the application can move forward. If everything looks good, you’ll receive a notification with fees due and payment instructions.

Many permit types have regulated timelines under the Ontario Building Code. This is the time in which we must conduct a review and notify the applicant of our findings. For most residential projects, this timeline is 10 business days.

Paying for your permit

Invoices for your permit will be uploaded into Cloudpermit. Fees up to $5,000 can be easily paid via the online payment option. For fees over $5,000 or if you prefer in-person payment, please visit Town Hall during business hours to pay by cash, debit or cheque.

Permit fees are payable at the time they are issued. These fees are reviewed annually and subject to change. View our current fees and charges for the list of building permit fees.

Related forms

 You may need to complete additional forms:

Under the Ontario Building Code, the owner is responsible for all construction on their property. If you want your contractor or designer to apply on your behalf, you must complete an Owner's Authorization Form for Agent to Make an Application. Although the contractor or designer is acting on your behalf, you are responsible for ensuring your agent is calling for necessary inspections and constructing in accordance with building permit drawings.

After your permit is issued

Once your application is reviewed and paid, your permit placard and reviewed plans will be available in Cloudpermit for you to view and download. You will receive an email notification from Cloudpermit when these items are ready. Make sure you display your permit placard in a prominent location and then you can get building!

Project timelines

Under the Ontario Building Code, construction must seriously commence within six months of the permit issue date, or your permit may be revoked. Your permit may also be revoked if construction stalls for more than one year. If you require an extension, please contact us at before this expiry timeline.


You must request inspections at various stages of construction, either under the Ontario Building Code or by a Town by-law, depending on the project. Your permit placard will often tell you which inspections you need based on your project. Learn how to schedule an inspection. Be sure not to work beyond your required inspections, or you may be required to undo work (i.e., insulation, drywall, etc.) so the inspector can see.

Third-party reports

Sometimes, reports from third-parties are required, either because of the nature of construction, a general requirement, or because an inspector has requested it. Common reports include:

  • Electrical Safety Authority Inspection Report
  • Soil Engineer Report
  • Potable Water Report
  • Lot Grading Certificate
  • Structural Engineer Report

You can send all reports by email to Staff will ensure your inspector is aware and the report is added to your file.

Closing the permit

A "Notice of Completion" inspection is the last required inspection. After we have received all required reports and the building exterior has received an acceptable inspection, the permit status will be set to "Final". If a permit is not "Final", it remains open and could impact your home insurance, and your ability to obtain financing and sell your property. 

Security deposit

If you have provided a security deposit to the Town directly for your permit, that deposit will be refunded after the permit is closed.