Innisfil Website

Frequently Asked Questions

Property Taxes - Frequently Asked Questions

When are my Property Taxes due?

Property taxes are due four (4) times a year. Residential property taxes are due  February, April, June and September. You will receive a bill in January for the February and April levies, and another in May for the June and September levies.  Commercial Property Taxes are  due in February and April, but final tax due dates are in August and October. Taxes are always due at the end of these months and due dates vary. Check your bill to confirm due dates.

How can I pay my taxes?

We offer many ways to pay your taxes! Payment can be made:

  • Town Hall by cash, cheque or debit (no credit)
  • Pre-authorized Payment Plan (PAP)
  • Online by credit card using Plastiq
  • Online banking – just add “Innisfil Taxes” as a payee (you will need information from your tax bill the first time)
  • At your bank
  • By phone – contact your bank for setup

Your account number is your 19 digit roll number from your tax bill.  

**Please remember payments made online or through your bank may take up to five (5) business days to receive. To avoid late penalties, be sure to make the payment in enough time that it is received by the due date.**

Click here for more details about payment methods …

Pre-authorized Payment Plans (PAP)

This is a very convenient way of making sure your taxes are paid. We offer a monthly option and on installment due dates. Setting it up is simple! Complete the Pre-Authorization Application form and provide a void cheque or a document from your banking institution providing your account information. Submitting is just as easy – details are on the form.

Click here for more details about PAP…

Oops - I missed my pre-authorized payment.  What do I do now?

You will receive a letter advising that a payment has been returned from the bank.  A fee of $35 is applied to your account.  Payments are only attempted through PAP once - otherwise payment will need to be made through any of the other available payment options. Remember to include the administration fee.  If the payment remains outstanding,  the PAP will be cancelled due to arrears. There is an additional  fee if we need to reactivate your PAP due to non-payment. Please contact us if we can help you make payment arrangements.

How do I find out my account balance and activity?

No need to wait for regular business hours to contact us – do it online anytime! You will need information from your tax bill to activate your account for the first time, but once activated you can monitor your account with ease.  To get started click here!

How do I change my address?

Simply complete our Change of Address Form and return it to us. We will ensure that tax bills are redirected to the address you request.

Can I have my tax bill emailed to me?

Get your tax bill where ever you are and go paperless! E-bill is a convenient way of receiving your tax bill without having to wait for regular mail delivery. You will need to activate your online tax account to sign up to receive e-bills. Set up is easy - select "sign up for e-bill"  from the menu after logging into your online tax account. You will receive an email containing a link to your e-bill when your tax bill is ready! 

Remember - email notifications are sent out automatically when accounts start posting. There may be a delay from the time you receive the email until the link is functional - we appreciate your patience! The posting updating process can take a few hours.  If your link is not functional by the next business day, please let us know!

Why did I get a tax bill when I'm on payment plan with the Town or my Mortgage Holder?

You will still receive a bill if you are on a payment plan. If you are enrolled in a payment plan, your enrollment status will be indicated on your bill under your mailing address block.  

I have received a “Supplemental Tax” bill – what does this mean?

These bills are issued when there has been a change in the assessed value of your property and additional taxes are owing. Outside of their regular assessment cycle, MPAC may do a reassessment of your property based on a recent project on your property that needed a permit from us. Municipalities are required to report permit activity to MPAC. This is only one of the reasons your property may have been reassessed. Contact MPAC for more details on how your property has been assessed.

If you purchased a new home you will receive a Supplemental Tax bill. It takes time for MPAC to fully assess your property following construction. Your initial tax payments were based on an assessment of vacant land. Bills are issued retro-actively from the time of occupancy until the bill is issued. 

Options are available through our Pre-authorized Payment Plan if you want to help build a credit in your tax account to offset supplemental taxation or help you manage getting up to date. Contact us if we can help!


Winter Operations – Frequently Asked Questions

Why does the plow truck always put snow in my driveway?

Snow routes must be plowed in the safest and most efficient way possible. Unfortunately, there will always be an amount of snow plowed into driveways and this is unavoidable. The Town will not clear the snow deposited into your driveway.

If you have a physical or medical condition that may affect your ability to clear this snow we recommend asking a friend, neighbour or consider hiring a private service. High school students can earn community service hours towards their diploma – reach out to our community youth!

When clearing the bottom of your driveway, we suggest piling your snow on the 'away' side i.e. - so that the plow truck will not push the snow back onto your driveway.

Why is it taking so long for my street to be cleared?

In order to make sure that critical services like Police, Fire and Paramedics can do their job, our first priority is always the main roads and arteries.

In extreme heavy snowfall events, our plow trucks may have to clear these same roads repeatedly before they can reach other areas. This is why you may notice that some residential streets have been cleared and yours still hasn't. Don't worry! Our crews will keep going until all streets have been reached.

Where can I get a replacement blue bin? The plow hit mine!

You may pick up a replacement bin at Town Hall or from the County of Simcoe. A friendly reminder that all of your waste, recycling, green bins and related materials need to be at least 4 feet away from the edge of your driveway. Our plow trucks have to do their best to fully clear the street and at times the force of the snow can be powerful. Please visit the County of Simcoe website  for more information.

I live on a private road. Are you going to plow it?

Our plow trucks do not clear private roads or sidewalks as this is the responsibility of the property owner or local association.

My street is not clear yet. How is an ambulance or fire truck going to reach my home?

In an emergency do not hesitate to dial 9-1-1, even if your road is not cleared. Police, Fire and Paramedic services will contact the Town if they cannot reach an area. We receive many calls from residents asking for roads to be cleared because they need to get to an appointment and want the road opened immediately. We can't respond to these requests as our resources must follow their designated routes.

The plow truck missed my street because it looks like a driveway. Can something be done?

If you have seen a plow truck drive by and it has been well past the normal time when your street would have been cleared you may contact us and the information will be sent to the appropriate staff.

Who should be clearing the snow away from Canada post mailboxes?

Canada Post is responsible for maintaining snow around their mailboxes.

If you are unable to access your mail box, please contact Canada Post Customer Service at 1-800-267-1177.


Zoning - Frequently Asked Questions

Can I operate a business from my home?

Home based businesses are permitted in certain zones. A home based business, or home occupation, is an occupation for gain or support conducted entirely within a dwelling unit, is secondary to the residential use, and operated only by those residing on the premises plus not more than one assistant who is not a resident of the dwelling. Additional requirements for home occupation uses can be found in the Zoning By-law.

How many dwelling units can be located on a lot?

A dwelling unit is basically one room or a group of rooms in a dwelling, used by only one household as a single independent and separate housekeeping establishment in which food preparation, sleeping and sanitary facilities are provided for the sole use of the occupants, and which has a private entrance from outside the building or from a common hallway or stairway inside the building. A second dwelling unit (e.g. a basement apartment, in-law suite, etc.) is generally allowed in a single-detached, semi-detached or street townhouse as long as it can meet the zoning requirements, it is legally constructed, and it is registered with the Town. See the Second Units tab on the Planning Services page for more information. 

What is an agricultural use? 

An agricultural use is defined as the use of land, buildings or structures for the growing of field crops, berry crops, vegetables, flowers, mushrooms, tree crops, the grazing, breeding, raising, boarding or training of animals and livestock, market gardening, kennels, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, and other silvaculture, aquaculture, apiculture and hydroponics, and the sale of agricultural products from the farm on which they are produced.

What is a minor variance?

The provisions of the Zoning By-law are precise, and any development proposal must comply with the terms and provisions of the by-law. A minor variance is a change or permission from the specific requirements of the Town’s zoning by-law.  Please see Committee of Adjustment for more information on minor variance. 

How close to the lot line can I build?

Each zone has specific setbacks that must be adhered to. A setback is simply the distance a building or structure must be located from a lot line. You can check the Zoning By-law to determine how the property is zoned, and the requirements for that zone, or contact Customer Service.

What is lot coverage?

Lot coverage is the combined area covered by all buildings on the lot and calculated as a percentage of the lot area. Decks are included within lot coverage. Each zone has its own maximum allowable percentage, which is outlined in the Zoning By-law.

How high can a building be?

Although there are different height restrictions for different zones, generally, the maximum height of a single family dwelling is 9 metres. The height is measured from the average point at grade to the midpoint of the roof. The specific height restrictions for each zone are outlined in the Zoning By-law.

On a corner lot, where is the frontage?

Regardless of which way your home is oriented on a lot, the front lot line is determined as being the shorter of the two lot lines which abut the two streets. For clarification, you should check the Zoning By-law definitions section.

On a lakefront property, where is the front lot line?

The front lot line would normally be the line that divides the lot from the street.

Powered by Vantage | A PathFive Technology