Building Permits & Inspections

For Homeowners & Housing Developers

As a homeowner, you may find that you have outgrown your present home. Renovation is today’s answer to moving and can include everything from adding a room, fixing up the basement, building a garage, to remodelling the interior of your house. You may wish to create a Second Dwelling Unit for a family member or for rental income.

  • Building permits are necessary to ensure that zoning requirements, fire and structural safety standards and other building standards are met, primarily for safety reasons. Please note: zoning regulations are required to be complied with even if a building permit is not required. 
  • One benefit of obtaining a permit is receiving assistance from the Community Development Standards Branch staff. 
  • Another benefit is to ensure that you or the person you have hired produces a product that meets the minimum standards as set out in the Ontario Building Code and other relevant Codes and Town of Innisfil By-laws. 
  • All drawings submitted with permit applications shall be drawn to a recognizable scale. In most cases, homeowners are allowed to prepare their own building permit drawings, however qualified designers are sometimes required to prepare the drawings.
  • Whether you do the work yourself or hire a contractor, it is the homeowner’s responsibility to ensure that a building permit is obtained, when required, and that the required inspections are called for and any deficiencies are corrected. 
  • Starting construction without a permit is illegal and is a Provincial Offence under the Ontario Building Code Act so we advise homeowners to ensure that the permit has been issued prior to starting any work.

For Industrial, Commercial or Institutional Developers

The Building Code requires that qualified and registered designers who review and take responsibility for design activities include the following information on any documents submitted to the Town of Innisfil.

  • The name and Building Code Identification Number (BCIN) of the registered firm;
  • A statement that the qualified person has reviewed and taken responsibility for the design activities;
  • The name and BCIN of the qualified person; and
  • The signature of the qualified person.

If applicable, drawings must be stamped by an architect or professional engineer or both. The stamps and signatures of architects and/or professional engineer’s are required to be original on one set of drawings. All drawings shall be fully dimensioned, note all sizes and types of construction materials to be used and their respective locations, all finishes to all walls, ceiling and floors and all existing and proposed fire separations. Alterations, renovations and additions must differentiate between the existing building and new work being done. The following is a list of plans, working drawings, information and forms that may be required to accompany applications and fees for permits according to the scope of work.

  • Site plan
  • Key plan
  • Lot grading plan
  • Floor plans
  • Foundation plans
  • Framing plans
  • Roof plans
  • Reflected ceiling plans
  • Sections and details
  • Building elevations
  • Structural drawings
  • Architectural drawings
  • Electrical drawings
  • Heating, ventilation and air conditioning drawings
  • Plumbing drawings
  • Fire alarm drawings
  • Sprinkler drawings
  • Travel distance plans
  • Exit capacity plans

Save time and printing costs by submitting your application digitally to . Otherwise, three sets of drawings (to scale) shall be submitted on paper or other durable material.

Additional information which may be required

  • Spatial separation calculations
  • Fire protection reports
  • Building Code related reports


All development proposals must comply with the Town of Innisfil zoning regulations. The Community Development Standards Branch should be consulted regarding inquiries and interpretation of the Zoning By-law.