What is Zoning?

Zoning is a process that establishes zone categories for every property within the municipality. The zone identifies permitted uses and regulations related to such things as minimum lot area, density, building height and area, maximum lot coverage, parking requirements, permitted accessory uses, etc.

The Town of Innisfil Comprehensive Zoning By-law 080-13  was recently approved by Council on July 10, 2013.  It provides the legal means of implementing the Official Plan through detailed regulations regarding the use of land and the form of buildings and structures.  The Zoning By-law assigns each property in the Town with a zone category that defines permitted uses and the type and form of development permitted. It contains zone maps which show the zoning of every property in the Town and text explaining the permitted uses and regulations for each zone.  It also contains general provisions, definitions and an interpretation/administration section. Zones and any amendment to them must be generally consistent with the Official Plan. All buildings and land uses must comply with the Zoning By-law.  By-law 080-13 replaces Zoning By-Law 054-04.

Zoning By-law 080-13

To make a Zoning Inquiry, please contact Customer Service at 705-436-3710.

Download a Zoning By-law Amendment Application Form

For information about minor variances and consent approval for severance of land and the granting of easements, please see Committee of Adjustment.

What is my property zoned as?

Zoning Issues

What else should I consider?

What does it mean to have lands that are regulated by the Conservation Authority?

Some properties may fall under lands which are regulated by the Conservation Authority. In these areas the Conservation Authority regulates land uses and activities based on potential hazards, flooding, natural features, watercourses and shoreline areas.   The Town of Innisfil falls within the jurisdiction of two conservation authorities, the Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority  (LSRCA) and the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority  (NVCA).  All you have to do to find out if your property comes under the Fill, Construction, and Alteration to Waterways Regulation is call the LSRCA at 905-895-1281 or the NVCA at 705-424-1479.  Regulation mapping is also available on their websites.

Can I operate a business from my home?

Home based businesses are permitted in certain zones. A home based business, or home occupation, is an occupation for gain or support conducted entirely within a dwelling unit, is secondary to the residential use, and operated only by those residing on the premises plus not more than one assistant who is not a resident of the dwelling. Additional requirements for home occupation uses can be found in the Zoning By-law.

How many dwelling units can be located on a lot?

A dwelling unit is basically one room or a group of rooms in a dwelling, used by only one household as a single independent and separate housekeeping establishment in which food preparation, sleeping and sanitary facilities are provided for the sole use of the occupants, and which has a private entrance from outside the building or from a common hallway or stairway inside the building. A second dwelling unit (e.g. a basement apartment, in-law suite, etc.) is generally allowed in a single-detached, semi-detached or street townhouse as long as it can meet the zoning requirements, it is legally constructed, and it is registered with the Town. See the Second Units tab on the Planning Services page for more information. 

What is an agricultural use? 

An agricultural use is defined as the use of land, buildings or structures for the growing of field crops, berry crops, vegetables, flowers, mushrooms, tree crops, the grazing, breeding, raising, boarding or training of animals and livestock, market gardening, kennels, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, and other silvaculture, aquaculture, apiculture and hydroponics, and the sale of agricultural products from the farm on which they are produced.

What is a minor variance?

The provisions of the Zoning By-law are precise, and any development proposal must comply with the terms and provisions of the by-law. A minor variance is a change or permission from the specific requirements of the Town’s Zoning by-law.  Please see Committee of Adjustment for more information on minor variance.