Accessing Town Records
The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of
Privacy Act (MFIPPA) came into effect on January 1, 1991. It applies to all
Ontario municipalities as well as local boards, agencies and commissions,
including school boards and police services.
The Act provides the right of public to access municipal records, subject to certain limitations and exemptions, and the right to access one’s own personal information and to correct it if it is inexact, ambiguous or incomplete. The Act further requires municipalities to protect personal information by imposing protection of privacy requirements that govern the collection, retention, use, disclosure and disposal of information.
The end result is a balance between both access to information and protection of personal privacy.
The Town of Innisfil promotes open government by operating in a manner that fosters and supports the principles of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Do You Want More Information?
If you are interested in obtaining access to information or records of the municipality, you are first encouraged to contact the Town of Innisfil Administration offices to see if the records are considered routine disclosure.
If the records are not subject to routine disclosure, you will be directed to make a formal request in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The following process applies to formal requests:
- Obtain an Access/Correction Request Form:
- Call the Town Administration offices at 705-436-3710
- Visit the Customer Service Department of the Town Hall (Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm, 2101 Innisfil Beach Road, Innisfil ON)
- Complete the Access/Correction Request Form and submit your Request Form to the Town of Innisfil.
- Pay the $5.00 application fee (prescribed by the Act) at the time you submit your request. If paying by cheque, please ensure that the cheque is made payable to the Town of Innisfil.
The municipality has 30 days in which to respond to a request.
Please note that additional fees may apply as per Section 45 of the Act. Additional fees are as follows:
- Search Time $7.50 – per ¼ hour
- Preparation Time $7.50 – per ¼ hour
- Computer programming $15.00 – per ¼ hour
- Photocopying $0.20 – per page
- CD $10.00
- Any shipping costs
- Any other costs incurred in responding to a request
Still Have Questions?
For further information regarding the collection or disclosure of information at the Town of Innisfil, please contact:
Coordinator or Town Clerk
Town of Innisfil 2101 Innisfil Beach Road, Innisfil, ON L9S 1A1