|In July 2009 “The Lake Simcoe Protection Plan ” (LSPP) came into effect, the document is a comprehensive plan to protect and restore the ecological health of Lake Simcoe and its watershed. |
As part of the Lake Simcoe Protection Plan, all municipalities within the Lake Simcoe Region, governed by the Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority (LSRCA) are required to have a Storm Water Management Program in place.
On January 11, 2017 Town Council approved the Town of Innisfil’s Comprehensive Stormwater Management Master Plan (CSWM-MP). The Town took a multi-phased approach to complete the plan.
Part 1 of the Master Plan Study was completed in 2012.
Part 1 satisfied the requirement to determine the effectiveness of the existing stormwater management systems in the Town and identify and evaluate stormwater improvements and retrofit opportunities.
Recommendations from Part 1 have formed the basis of the Towns Stormwater Pond Cleanout Program since 2012.
Part 2 is the Comprehensive Stormwater Management Master Plan reviewed and approved by LSRCA and approved by Council January 11, 2017.
Part 2 includes:
- Determining and characterizing the study area for each of the settlement areas.
- Evaluating the Environmental Impact of Stormwater from Existing and Planned Development.
- Establishing a Recommended Approach for Stormwater Management for the Study Area.
- Developing an Implementation Plan for the Recommended Approaches.
- And Develop Programs for Inspection and Maintenance of Stormwater Management Facilities.
As part of CSWM-MP Part 2 the Study areas were reviewed, specific recommended improvements for the areas were done. To implement improvements, the MP developed a 10 year capital implementation plan.
This 10 year implementation plan includes:
- Stormwater Pond Cleanouts and Retrofits.
- Incorporation of Low impact Development such as Rainwater Gardens, enhanced grass swales, permeable pavements…
- Addition of Oil Grit Separators upstream of the ponds.
- An Inspection & Maintenance Program:
- Annual Stormwater Facility Inspections
- Obstruction of Debris and Beaver Dam Removal
- Improvements to Access Roads
- Replanting of Dead Vegetation
- Inlet and Outlet Structure Replacement or Rehab
- Erosion Protection
- Minor Cleanout works