Protecting the health and safety of all participants, vendors and visitors at an event is important.  Special event organizers requiring a Special Event Permit are required to meet with South Simcoe Police well in advance of their event to determine their security needs.  Any costs associated with special security measures are the responsibility of the event organizers.


Attaching signs or other items to trees, built structures or signposts on Town property is prohibited as outlined in the Town Signage By-Law.  The Town offers some advertising programs within some Town facilities; please speak to Customer Service for more information.

Site Plan Submission

All special events on Town property require a site plan.  This site plan must be a bird’s eye view of the event location, showing the layout of all structures and activities to scale.  Site plans are important as they help clarify which part of the Town property is planned for use and in what fashion.  The site plan also aids event organizers if a utility locate is required (i.e. if the event will be taking place on land that has electrical, water, telephone, gas or cable lines below it and the event organizers are using spikes or digging).  The site plan does not need to be prepared by a professional (i.e.  architect, or engineer).  There is no expectation that the event organizers would incur any special costs associated with the creation of a site plan.

Creating a Site Plan

Site plans typically include the following:

  • location of permanent buildings/structures
  • location of all tents and/or stages
  • utility locates (event organizers have to coordinate utility locates prior to submitting a site plan to demonstrate no interference with wires or pipes located in the vicinity of any proposed structures)
  • location of first aid station
  • location of food services and barbeques
  • location of any tables
  • location of games and activities
  • proposed route and layout of race, walk-a-thon or road closure
  • access routes for emergency vehicles
  • location of any barricades used to block of parking, roadways or sections
  • location of licensed area
  • location of portable toilets and hand wash stations
  • location of any temporary fencing
  • location of garbage/recycling stations
  • location of any other activities or structures that relate to the event
  • location of midway rides/dunk tanks/inflatables

The site plan will be circulated to emergency services and any relevant departments for review and comment.  Site plans must be approved before set up can occur.  Event organizers are reminded that the issuing of a Special Event Permit is based on the site plan and failure to comply can result in the revoking of the Permit.  If organizers determine Site Plans cannot be complied with during the setting up of the event, contact Customer Service immediately, though this situation should only happen for emergency situations.

Site plans/maps should be submitted with the application for a Special Event Permit in a paper format that is readable.

Maps of some Town properties may be available through Customer Service.  These maps can be emailed or downloaded to the event organizer.

Electrical Service

Some Town properties may offer limited access to power for special events.  If an event requires access to power, please indicate on the Special Event Planning Form, what is required; what it is required for; and where in the event location it is required (if available).  If outdoor electrical outlets are not available or in the number or wattage required, it is the responsibility of the event organizer to have alternative power sources bought in.  Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) certificates need to be available for all devices bought in.  Town staff may need to inspect the electrical devices prior to set up to make they comply with health and safety standards.

Sound/Noise Restrictions

All events that have amplified sound (from public address systems, live music or other activities) must adhere to the Noise By-Law 122-16.  Please discuss your planned programming with the Facility Coordinator to learn more.

The Town of Innisfil enforces noise violations based on complaints from the general public.  South Simcoe Police has the right to shut down loud activities at any time at their discretion.


SOCAN (Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada) is a not-for-profit organization that represents the Canadian performing rights of millions of Canadian and international music creators and publishers.  SOCAN plays a leading role in supporting the long-term success of its more than 100,000 Canadian members, as well as the Canadian music industry.

Through licenses, SOCAN gives businesses that use music the freedom to use any music they want, legally and ethically.  SOCAN collects license fees from over 42,000 businesses coast to coast and distributes royalties to its members and peer organizations around the world.  SOCAN also distributes royalties to its members from the use of Canadian use around the world in collaboration with its peer societies.

In addition, SOCAN plays a leadership role in mentoring emerging creators on various aspects of the craft and business of music.  SOCAN also advocates on behalf of their members to ensure that copyright is respected and that creators are appropriately remunerated for the use of their work.

Organizers having music at their must adhere to any SOCAN regulations including the payment of any required fees.  Please visit  for details and how to submit payment.