Road Closures & Road Blockages

Organizers must submit an Application for a Road Occupation Permit (ROP) for events, proposing that a road be closed or blocked, such as, walk-a-thons, relays, street festivals, running events, street tournaments, block parties, etc.  If you plan to close or block a road, please fill out an Application for a Road Occupation Permit (ROP).

The event organizer must also provide information on traffic control and detours for use by police, emergency services to the Roads Department.


Road closures or blockages require the approval of the Roads Department, Fire Department and South Simcoe Police prior to being submitted to Town Council for final approval.  Approval is obtained through these departments by submitting an Application for a Road Occupation Permit (ROP).


There are fees associated with the closure of roads within the Town of Innisfil.  The fee must be paid at the time the Application or a Road Occupation Permit (ROP) is submitted.  if an event is not approved, the fee will be reimbursed.  Any other type of cancellation will result in loss of fee payment.

Fees are subject to change without notice.  Information on any application fees can be obtained from Customer Service.

Barricades and Signage

It is the responsibility of the event organizer to obtain/use/maintain the appropriate signage and set up barricades/signs when the road closure goes into effect and to do so according to the process and protocol outlined in the Ontario Traffic Manual Book 7 .

Notice to Affected Residents/Businesses

Organizers will be required to provide written notice to residents and business owners that may be affected by the road closure and blockage in advance of the event.  The notice should indicate when the road closure will be in effect and when the road will reopen for regular use.  The notice needs to be provided to residents and business owners within 120 meters of the affected area.

The event organizer will need to provide advance notice to motoring/pedestrian public by use of signage indicating times of closure and reason for closure.

The Roads Department will send road closure notices to emergency services and effected departments/agencies.  Information will be gathered from the ROP.

County and Ontario Roads

The Town of Innisfil does not govern roads owned and maintained by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, the County of Simcoe or adjacent municipalities.  If an event involves the closure or blockage of roads controlled by other jurisdictions, the event organizer will need to contact them directly to learn more about their approval process and to obtain any required approvals.

County of Simcoe
Transportation and Engineering Department
1110 Hwy # 26
Midhurst, Ontario  L0L 1X0
Phone: 705-736-6901

Ministry of Transportation
Central Region Office
1201 Wilson Avenue
Building D, 2nd Floor
Downsview, Ontario  M3M 1J8
Phone: 416-235-5412


For events that include a parade, an Application for an ROP will need to be submitted and the road closure/blockage process followed.  Customer Service will contact the Road Department, South Simcoe Police and Fire Department regarding the proposed parade and provide them with a copy of the Application for review and comments prior to submitting it to Town Council for approval.

Road Closure Map

The event organizer must submit a map with the proposed routes to the Facility Coordinator.  This map will be sent to the Roads Department, and Fire Department for review and comment and a final map will be submitted to Council as part of any request for a road closure.  If any subsequent changes are made to the route or area to be closed to traffic, the organizer needs to contact Customer Service immediately, as changes to the map, may result in the ROP being considered void and it impacts external and internal service groups that are part of the Town’s road closure notification system.

South Simcoe Police

Those wishing to hold a parade or close/block traffic are required to fill out a South Simcoe Police Parade Waiver and Parade Application.  These forms are required by the South Simcoe Police to arrange policing and traffic monitoring for events involving road closures/blockages.  The forms are to be submitted directly to the South Simcoe Police.