Backwater Valve Grant Pilot Program

What is a backwater valve?

A backwater valve (sometimes called a backflow or sewer backup valve) is a valve that is installed on your sanitary sewer line and is designed to allow water or sewage to flow only one way, that is, out of your house. If there is a backup on the sanitary sewer line and you have a backwater valve in place, it will assist in preventing sewage from flowing back into your house. Like other systems in your home, the backwater valve will need maintenance as recommended by the manufacturer.

What is the Town of Innisfil’s Backwater Valve Grant Pilot Program?

On February 12, 2020, Council approved a 1-year Backwater Valve Grant Pilot Program (BVGPP). If you are an eligible homeowner living in the area as outlined in the map below, you can apply for a grant that will cover up to a maximum of $1,000 for the installation of a backwater valve, plus a refund of the associated building permit fees of $166.14.

Do I qualify for the Program?

Currently, the program only applies to properties in a specific area as outlined in the map below. There are additional conditions to qualifying for the program, such as:

  • The property must currently be connected to the Town’s sanitary sewer system (i.e. not on a septic system).
  • The building on the property must be constructed and have been granted occupancy.  Vacant lots and buildings in the planning stages or under construction do not qualify for this program.
  • The application must be for a new backwater valve, not the repair or replacement of an existing one.
  • The property must not have its downspouts and/or sump pump connected to the municipal sanitary sewer system.
  • A building permit must be obtained for the installation of the backwater valve and be inspected by a Town Building Inspector.
  • The installation of the backwater valve must have occurred on or after January 11, 2020.
  • The works must be completed by a certified plumber.  If the owner will be installing the valve themselves, the grant will be only for the cost of the valve (no compensation for labour, etc.).
  • The applicant of the grant program must be the registered owner of the property.
  • An application for the BVGPP must be received no later than February 12, 2021.

How do I apply?

If you qualify for the BVGPP, please follow these steps:

  1. Obtain a building permit to install the device in your home’s plumbing system. This will include filling out the following forms and paying the permit fee upon issuance. Please see the Backwater Valve Permit Information Package for requirements.
  2. Submit your completed building permit application to the Town for review. Building permits can be applied for online by emailing required documents to, or by applying in person at Town Hall.
  3. Town staff will review your application for completeness. Once staff are satisfied with your application, you will need to pay the permit fee of $166.14 and your permit will be issued.
  4. Contract the services of a plumber or contractor licensed to install the device. After the device is installed, but prior to covering, book an inspection with the Town by following the instructions on the back of your building permit placard (yellow permit sign).
  5. Submit the Backwater Valve Grant Application. This should happen after the successful inspection by a Town Building Inspector.
    – The Grant Application form must be completed by the registered owner of the property.
    – Please note the email address for submission is at the top of the grant application form.
    – Include the paid invoice from your contractor, or the receipt for the device if the valve was installed by the owner.
    – The completed Backwater Valve Grant Application must be received no later than February 12, 2021.
  6. Reimbursement will be processed through our Community Development Standards Branch and mailed to the property owner at the address indicated on the grant application.

If at anytime you have questions about this process, please feel free to reach out to Customer Service at 705-436-3710. As an added convenience, our building permits (all documents in step 1) can be submitted electronically to Alternatively, they can be dropped off to our Community Development Standards Branch at Town Hall during regular business hours.