Step 2: Applying for a Construction or Demolition Permit

Obtaining A Building Permit

Now that you know what you want to build, here are some steps to obtain a building permit.

Prepare drawings to scale which accurately describe the proposed construction. The drawings submitted with the permit application need to be detailed enough so that anyone using them would be able to construct your project. Where an owner engages the services of another person to perform design activities, that person may be required to comply with the qualification requirements established by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing . Standard technical details are available at the Town Office to assist in the preparation of your plans. If questions remain regarding how construction will occur, the drawings are not detailed enough.

It is advisable to verify with the Zoning Administrator that your proposed site plan will meet local zoning standards before you prepare the complete construction plans.

Submitting A Building Permit Application

To apply for a Building Permit, please view the Building Permit Applications applicable to your project, or visit Town Hall at 2101 Innisfil Beach Road for a hard copy version.

We are pleased to announce that we are now accepting applications digitally!

If you are submitting a single application, please email your application package to  All completed documents below should be separate files, labelled clearly.

If you are a regular applicant (home builder, pool installer, septic installer, etc.), please contact  to request access to OneDrive (Dropbox.)

A Complete Building Permit Application will include:

Drawing Requirements:

For paper submission: 2 copies of all drawings and specifications are required.

For digital submission: 1 copy of all drawings and specifications are required. Please ensure your plans are separate documents and labelled clearly, i.e. Architectural.pdf, HVAC.pdf, Truss.pdf, et cetera. 

**If there are changes to your plans before you get your building permit you must submit the revised drawings to the Community Development Standards Branch (Building Services). 

**If there are changes after you get your issued building permit, then you must submit your revised drawings. You may require a revision permit at the discretion of a Plan Examiner and there may be a fee associated with it. 

Ultimately, under the Ontario Building Code, the owner is responsible for all construction on their property. If you want your contractor or designer to apply on your behalf you must fill out a Letter of Authorization.  Although the contractor or designer is acting on your behalf, you are responsible for ensuring your agent is calling for the inspections and constructing in accordance with the Building Permit drawings. 

Notification of an incomplete application package will be provided in writing.

Request A Locate

CHANGE NOTICE: As of May 20, 2014 all locate requests must be requested through ON1Call.

Need a locate? Call 1-800-400-2255.

Call ON1Call (Ontario One Call) at 1-800-400-2255. They are open twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week, including statutory holidays.

What type of locates can I request?

Water, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, street lighting hydro feeds, traffic signals (including cross walks), and fibre optics.

What is ON1Call?

ON1Call is a not-for-profit corporation mandated by Ontario law to provide a “call before you dig” service ON1Call simply provides an effective link between the excavator and owners. 

Need more information? Wondering about your locate status?

Visit the ON1Call website:  

Does your locate involve a roadway?

You may need a Road Occupancy Permit. Click here for application details.

Why the Change?

Bill 8, the Ontario Underground Infrastructure Notification System Act, received Royal Assent on June 19th, 2012 and provides a common “one call” center to ensure buried infrastructure is marked onsite prior to digging. The law requires that municipalities become members of ON1Call corporation by June 18, 2014.  The Town of Innisfil has been a member since May 20, 2014.

Continue to Step 3: Permit Issuance & Payment