Why Conserve Water?
Because it Matters!
Water is a precious resource and we should all do our part to conserve because:
- It’s good for the environment
- It can help save money on your water bill
- It can help to reduce infrastructure costs to maintain the water and sewer systems
- It can help reduce energy costs
Lawn Watering Restrictions*
in Effect Year Round
Watering restrictions will help make sure there is enough municipal water for everyone’s needs. Watering of lawns, gardens and other landscaping is permitted ONLY on designated days from:
- 12 midnight – 9 am and
- 7 pm – 11:59 pm
and ONLY at:
- EVEN numbered addresses on EVEN numbered days &
- ODD numbered addresses on ODD numbered days
For Example: A house with an odd number address like 13, 1271 or 899 could water on any odd number date like June 5th or August 17th – but not on an even date like July 6th or September 22nd.
Watering is permitted outside of the dates and times specified only in the following circumstances:
- You may water newly planted trees, shrubs and flowers, while they are being installed and again 24 hours after installation.
- You may water lawns immediately after fertilizer treatment and again 24 hours after treatment.
- You may water new sod as required for a period of 30 days after the sod has been laid.
Stage 1 Advisory, Stage 2 Ban and Stage 3 Emergency
In addition to restrictions on outdoor water use, there may be a need for the Town to call for outdoor watering bans during water shortage emergencies. Bans will apply to residential, commercial and industrial properties. When necessary bans wll be called in stages, with each stage becoming more restrictive:
Stage 1 – Outdoor Water Use Advisory
- You are asked to voluntarily refrain from using municipal water for watering lawns and gardens, or washing vehicles, sidewalks, patios, decks, windows, or driveways. Please refer to the by-law for general exemptions.
Stage 2 – Outdoor Water Use Ban
- Use of municipal water for watering lawns and gardens, or washing vehicles, sidewalks, patios, decks, windows, or driveways is not permitted. Please refer to the by-law for general exemptions.
Stage 3 – Outdoor Water Use Emergency
- Use of municipal water for any outdoor purpose is not permitted.
Please note: * Lawn Watering Restrictions do not apply to private well water use.