What are the general rules when it comes to using Fireworks in Innisfil?
Any person wishing to hold a display or set off consumer fireworks for Victoria Day and/or Canada Day, may do so on the holiday itself, or the two days prior to and the two days after the holiday without permit. These days prior and post the holiday are considered to be exemptions.
- No person shall set off Consumer Fireworks on any day or days other than those exempt holidays unless a permit has been obtained from the Chief Fire Official.
- Fireworks can only be set off from dusk until 11 p.m.
- For New Year’s Eve celebrations involving consumer fireworks may be set off between dusk and 1:00 a.m. of the following day without permit.
- Fireworks cannot be set within 27ft of any building, tent, trailer, camp, shelter, fence or vehicle; Make sure your fireworks don’t hit your neighbour’s homes.
You can learn more by checking out the Fireworks By-Law.
Who is affected by the misuse of Fireworks?
We care about all of our residents and visitors and ask that you respect your neighbours when it comes to using fireworks. Here are some of individuals that can be negatively affected by the excessive or inappropriate use of fireworks:
Individuals with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental illness that results from exposure to trauma. Traumatic events may include crimes, natural disasters, accidents, war, conflict, or other threats to life or safety. PTSD can make people feel very nervous or ‘on edge’ all the time. Many feel startled very easily, have a hard time concentrating, feel irritable, or have problems sleeping well. People with PTSD that have suffered a traumatic event involving sound, experience trouble sleeping when fireworks are being set off. Learn more.
Families and Children
Generally, noise from fireworks can cause:
- Keep children from sleeping
- Keep those with disabilities (mental or physical) from attaining their sleep
- Aggravate pets
- Hinder those with fluctuating work shifts and hours from sleeping
The elderly often have health concerns and/or trouble sleeping. Fireworks being set off at inappropriate times can increase their discomfort/recovery from health issues.
Violating the Fireworks By-Law can result in charges. Always be respectful of your community when using fireworks. If you have any questions feel free to contact us.