At this time we are not accepting Volunteer Firefighter applications. Please visit our Current Opportunities page for future postings.
Volunteer Firefighter Requirements
You must live within an 8 km radius of one of our stations to be eligible for consideration.
As a Volunteer Firefighter, you will be assigned to work under the supervision of full-time firefighters to attend emergencies, administer First Aid/CPR, and operate and maintain equipment and fire stations.
You must be physically fit, have a valid driver’s licence, have a secondary school diploma or recognised equivalent, and knowledge of health and safety requirements. Although not mandatory, preference will be given to applicants who have a DZ driver’s licence, a current standard First Aid certificate, and prior firefighting experience.
- Station 1 (Alcona): 780 Innisfil Beach Road, Innisfil
- Station 2 (Lefroy): 1214 20th Sideroad, Innisfil
- Station 3 (Stroud): 2394 Victoria Street, Innisfil
- Station 4 (Cookstown): 23 King Street North, Cookstown
The Recruitment Process
- Cover letter and Resume: To be submitted to the Human Resources Department via our Applicant Tracking System on our website under Current Opportunities.
- Aptitude Test: Short-listed candidates will be invited to write the Fire Department’s aptitude test.
- Interview: Candidates who successfully complete the aptitude test will then be required to attend an interview. Successful candidates will then undergo background screening.
- Physical Fitness Component
- Volunteer Recruit Training Program: Candidates who are extended an offer of employment must be able to attend the training program.
To become a Volunteer Firefighter with the Town of Innisfil, you must pass through all stages of the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants and advise that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Personal information will be used to determine eligibility for potential employment and is pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Important Information on Becoming a Volunteer Firefighter
Volunteer Firefighters have to maintain the following mandatory attendance requirements:
- Training: 75% Attendance
- Emergency Calls: 30% Attendance
The work of a Volunteer Firefighter is very demanding, requiring you to be on-call and available, as much as possible, day and night, weekends and holidays.
This position requires a Volunteer Firefighter to be physically and mentally competent to perform all of the tasks and functions associated with being a Firefighter.
Carrying, lifting, pulling, climbing stairs and ladders, wearing self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), working in confined spaces, operating emergency vehicles, among others.
Environmental Factors Include:
Possible exposure to toxic gasses and particles, chemicals, wet and damp conditions and extreme temperature variations.
Firefighting requires a Volunteer Firefighter to go from minimal physical activity to the peak of physical activity while responding to and performing firefighting or related tasks.