Building Permit FAQs

You will need a permit for the following projects:

  • A structure larger than 10m2 (107sqft)
  • Building any addition to your home
  • Decks
  • Carports or garages
  • Structural alterations
  • Adding or filling in a window/door
  • Moving or lifting your house
  • Installing a wood stove or fireplace
  • Finishing a basement or adding a basement entrance
  • Creating a Second Dwelling Unit
  • Demolition
  • Septic System, new construction or repairs
  • Installing an in-ground or above-ground pool
  • Installing Solar Panels
  • Plumbing, new construction or changes
  • Tents (648 sqft / 60m2 or more)

You might need a permit for:

  • Replacing windows, doors, roofing or siding 
  • New interior wall, floor or ceiling finishes
  • Repairing a chimney, porch, deck or roof
  • Repairs to basement waterproofing 
  • Replacing a furnace 

If you are unsure if a permit is required, please call 705-436-3710 to discuss the details of your project. 

Check that you can meet the Town of Innisfil’s Zoning By-law. There are zoning provisions that affect your property – overall lot coverage, setbacks, building height and even type of zoning may have an impact on your project. If the project does not require a building permit, the Zoning By-law still applies.

To learn more about the zoning of your property, try our online zoning tool.